Copyright vs. Print Release

January 9, 2016

Every single photo being taken is not always printed in paper but instead downloaded and saved to iPads, phones, and computers.

My parents got married 21 years ago when 4x6 glossy photos were perfect and everything a bride could ask for from her photographer. My mom has all her wedding photos in a keepsake 4x6 album that is cherished and loved by our family. She didn’t have the luxury of requesting the digital images from her photographer because digital cameras didn’t exist back then but if they would’ve, i know she would’ve wanted them because of her love for photographic memories.

With the addition of technology, the photography industry today is taking a new digital path. Most of my clients are highly interested in obtaining the digital images from their events and sessions and I don’t blame them at all. Obtaining those files means they can:
  • Share them on social media
  • Print out as many photos and enlargements wherever they please
  • Make fun gifts such as holiday and thank you cards
  • Save them on to their computers, tablets, phones, etc.
However, what my clients are often confused about is the legal wording regarding obtaining their digital images from me.
Which is why i want to clarify the difference between copyright and a print release. 

When clients sign my contracts I state I own the copyright to all photos taken and edited by me. Meaning i can print, publish, and share the images without having to ask my clients for permission.

A print release given to my clients gives them the right to only share and print their digital images for personal use only.
This way, i can share the images on my website and blog and my clients can share them to friends and family.

If i were to hand the copyrights to my clients, they would no longer be legally mine and I wouldn’t be able to share them anywhere…..which would make me very sad :(

Hopefully this makes sense and clears any confusions!



© Lupe Juarez. Design by FCD.